Welcome to your weekend Northern California Patch roundup!
“John Clauer, 63, loved the 30-year-old woman he kept dead in his bed for two and a half weeks because he couldn't face the fact that she was dead, defense attorney Zach Schwarzbach told a Santa Cruz jury in his closing statement Friday.
“Schwarzbach read a letter Clauer wrote Stearns, his companion of several years, telling her he loved her and wanted her to come home and stay sober.
'How does any of us respond to the death of a loved one?' Schwarzbach asked the eight-woman, four-man jury. 'There's no script. There may have been better choices, but it's hard to say what's right and what's wrong in dealing with a loss.'"
For more top news, check out the headlines below:
- Man Beaten With Guitar at Concord BART Station
- Max Wade: Life in Prison for Attempted Murder
- Grant "Twiggy" Baker Wins Mavericks Surf Contest
- Saturday is the 30th Spare the Air Day of the Season
- Man Killed in Los Gatos Hwy 17 Crash ID'd