For the typical American cook, fresh mushrooms mean the button variety in a blue container, topped with plastic wrap. We’ve all bought ‘em.
But if you consider yourself a better-than-average cook and you’re looking for gourmet varieties of mushrooms, a visit to Miki’s Farm Stand Market on Alma Street will open your eyes to the incredible varieties available—including oyster, golden chanterelle, and pigs ear.
As a bit of added inspiration, we’re including a few recipes and a video—perhaps for a 49ers party?
Grilled Oyster Mushrooms
1 lb. oyster mushrooms
1/8 pound grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare grill for medium heat.
- Oil grate. Place mushroom caps on grill. Mushrooms cooked over the grill will cook very fast and become dried out, so move them around the fire for better heat control - don't let them burn! You can let them blacken a little bit on the edges for extra flavor. As the edges begin to toast, add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to each mushroom, and lit it melt. Serve and eat immediately!
Chanterelle Mushroom and Bacon Tartlets
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 clove garlic
1 ½ cups chanterelle mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tablespoon brandy
½ teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon minced parsley
¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup milk
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
24 mini phyllo tart shells
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots until they begin to brown. Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook until tender. Deglaze pan with brandy, and season with thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, Swiss cheese, cream cheese, and bacon. Fold in mushroom mixture. Spoon evenly into phyllo cups, and place cups on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until filling is set.
Also on Palo Alto Patch
Palo Alto Teens Attending Presidential Inauguration
Beautiful Mediterranean Home in Palo Alto: $2.9 Million
From Palo Alto to Broadway: Zach Appelman
Santa Clara County's Cancerous Radon Level
Alert: New Gift Card Scam Gives Your Gift Money to Thieves