The Livermore Police Department arrested a popular golf coach on suspicion of sexually assaulting boys between the ages of 12 and 17 just one day before he was to receive an award from the Northern California Section of the PGA honoring his work with youth.
Alameda County prosecutors charged Andrew Nisbet, 31, with 65 counts of sexual abuse and assault following an investigation by Livermore police.
He is currently being held without bail at Santa Rita Jail, Dublin, according to court records.
Nisbet was arrested Saturday, and the banquet where Nisbet was to receive the 2013 Junior Golf Leader Award at the Contra Costa Country Club in Pleasant Hill was scheduled for Sunday.
A press release announcing the award praised Nisbet's success in the field of youth golf: "Andy has been a tremendous contributor to Junior Golf, creating a variety of inviting programs for young people and teaching golf professionals how to get started on this track."
Nisbet was director of instruction at Los Positas Golf Course, Livermore, from 2006 to present, and the founder of GRIP Academy, which drew students from throughout the East Bay. Las Positas Golf terminated Nisbet’s employment immediately, police said.
Authorities stated their investigation reveals that the sexual abuse occurred in Livermore between 2009 and 2012 while he was employed at the golf club, and that he is suspected of sexually assaulting multiple male children between the ages of 12 and 17 years old.
Police said an additional victim has come forward since Nisbet's Dec. 7 arrest.
The highly regarded Nisbet coached many children in junior golf tournaments throughout California, as well as nationally. Livermore detectives also learned he coached youth in Michigan, North Carolina, Mississippi, and Alabama.
According to police officials, Nisbet was arrested on the following charges:
- Penal Code 288a(c)(2)(a) – Oral Copulation by Force.
- Penal Code 288a(b)(2) – Oral Copulation of a Person under age 16, Suspect over 21.
- Penal Code 288a(b)(1) – Oral Copulation of a Person under age 18.
- Penal Code 288(c)(1) – Lewd and Lascivious Acts with a child age 14 or 15 years.
- Penal Code 288(a) – Lewd and Lascivious Acts with a child under the age of 14.
- Penal Code 288.2(a) – Distribution or Exhibition of Lewd Material to a Minor.
- Penal Code 288.2(b) – Distribution or Exhibition of Lewd Material to a Minor.
- Penal Code 288.4(a) – Arrangement of Meeting with a Minor for the Purpose of Engaging in Lewd and Lascivious Behavior.
- Penal Code 288.4(b) – Meeting with a Minor for the Purpose of Engaging in Lewd and Lascivious Behavior.
If anyone has information about this case, they are encouraged to call the Livermore police at (925) 294-7531. Those who wish to remain anonymous may do so.