.

Father Accused of Abduction Appears In Court

The man who allegedly abducted his two toddlers and took them on a stolen yacht to Monterey made his first appearance in court Monday afternoon.


Christopher Maffei, the man accused of kidnapping his two young children last week,  and boating down the coast to Monterey, spoke out in court today.

"My children have been put back in a place where they were abused," he said.

The judge told Maffei to speak with his lawyer and reminded him that everything said in court could be used against him.

No plea was entered; the case was continued to Sept. 17 at 1:30 p.m.

Maffei is in custody now on $500,000 bail, and he is charged with kidnapping and child endangerment. 

Maffei allegedly abducted his two children, ages 2 and 3, at about 3 p.m. Tuesday in the 100 block of James Court in South San Francisco and then drove in a rental car to Alameda where he left on the boat with the kids, police said.

 about 50 miles off the coast from Half Moon Bay in San Mateo County early Friday by the operator of a commercial fishing boat who notified the U.S. Coast Guard.

Coast Guard officials sent crews by air and by sea to find the yacht and eventually .

Court records show that the mother of the children, Jennifer Hipon, obtained a temporary restraining order against him last Thursday and that a hearing on the order is scheduled for Sept. 21.

 at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital.

-Bay City News contributed to this report.

Don't miss important news Subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Get our daily newsletter | Like us on Facebook |Blog for us | Follow us on Twitter|

 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »