This non-profit private school serves grades 2 to 6 this coming year, and will expand to 8th grade in the future.
Key features of Athena Academy include:
- Effective teaching for dyslexic students who are bright and may be gifted
- Student/teacher ratio of 6:1
- Average class size: 6 students
- Cutting edge research incorporated into our innovative, dynamic curriculum
- Individualized Learning Programs for each student
- The best evidence-based teaching techniques for dyslexia and language-based learning disabilities
- Teachers trained in multiple teaching approaches: Orton-Gillingham, Lindamood Bell, Davis© Learning Strategies, Woodin Math, and new focused learning techniques.
- Engaging courses for developing the potential in gifted-dyslexic students.
The school has a research department that will assess the effectiveness of each teaching method. In this way, the curriculum will be refined as the results of ongoing research are incorporated into the program.
Dyslexia is a learning disorder that causes difficulty in reading, spelling, writing, and often other kinds of learning that involve symbols. With more than 15 percent of all students having dyslexia, this school is a much needed addition to the Palo Alto and Silicon Valley area.
To learn more, follow the school on Facebook here.