Friday, Sept. 6
- The Pacific Art League hosts First Friday on Sept. 6 with two new exhibits that will run until Sept. 26. "Water Media on Paper," exhibited in the Main Gallery, will feature sixteen California artists. In the Glass Gallery, local photographer Judy Kramer will have a solo exhibit featuring images taken on a humanitarian trip to Guinea in West Africa last Fall. At 227 Forest Ave. in Palo Alto from 5:30–8 p.m. FREE.
- Learn garden design and planning, composting, soil testing and preparation, seed propagation, transplanting, watering, and how to nurture healthy edible crops. Introductory class on Friday, Sept. 6 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Common Ground Garden Supply and Education, 559 College Ave. Palo Alto, CA 94306. Classes run for four Saturdays: Sept. 7, Sept 21, Oct 12 and Oct 26 from 9:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. Cost $325.
Saturday, Sept. 7
- Are you ready for some Cardinal Football? Stanford's season kicks off versus the San Jose Spartan this Saturday, Sept. 7 at 8 p.m. at Stanford Stadium. If you didn't get the very sought after tickets, here's the game schedule with a list of how to watch and a link to an live audio stream. Also, if you do plan to attend read these new tougher security rules.
Sunday, Sept. 8
- Join the Stanford Solar Decathlon team for a send-off before the Smart.Home is disassembled and sent to Irvine for the national competition. On Sunday, Sept. 8 the finished house with be open for tours and there will be a number of informational booths and kid-friendly activities. This is a wonderful opportunity for the community to explore the finished Smart.Home without having to make the trek down to Irvine for the official competition. Location: Stanford University, Smart.Home site (Corner of Panama Mall and Lomita Mall), from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Is being part of a flash mob on your bucket list? Join the Birthday Surprise flash mob for a Flash Mob-a-gram. The organizers are recruiting people to go dance with them. Potential dancers need to regster to get further instructions. For more information, visit their Facebook page.
Save the Date
- Curious about how fracking, the controversial method of natural gas and oil extraction, can affect the environment? Stop by Patagonia Palo Alto, at 525 Alma Street, for a viewing of Gasland 2. The Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter and Californians Against Fracking will be on hand for a solutions-focused Q&A. Food and wine by Bluebird Wines. FREE.